Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Mom's View: Off Again!

He is off and on his way back to Russia.

Despite our very best intentions, we were up late into the night getting him ready.
Since this was a return trip, he knew the things he most needed to bring with him.  The list included a few random things like Clorox wipes (Scores of teenage boys in a dorm setting?  I mean, ew.) and a book light.
But, based on meals like this,

Actual dinner at the Bolshoi Ballet Academy.
Mystery meat and, what is that, a tablespoon of corn, iceberg lettuce and two dices of tomato?
we knew the thing he needed most was food.  Come on, Russia.  These boys are hungry!
Food, even dehydrated or freeze-dried food is heavy.
All night, we arranged and rearranged his luggage to try and make the weight requirements.
As it was, he had to leave home some precious peanut butter--heartbreaking!


As we drove him into the airport this morning, we knew our luggage scale still had him 5 pounds over weight.  We decided to leave the five pounds and see if the airport scale was a little different.
It was.  In fact it was so different that it felt dishonorable to accept the weight.  I nearly disputed their claim, but Isaac reminded me that it was their scale and that we should view it as divine intervention so he would have enough to eat.


Six months is a long time.  A long, long time.
We watched him go through security, (I was afraid the 25 bags of popcorn stuffed in random places in his carry-on luggage would look suspicious) and waited for him to tie his shoes.  
He stood up and looked for us.

I don't have a digital picture of it, but the next moment is ingrained in my memory forever and ever.
As he tugged his luggage down the terminal, he waved and smiled.

That smile and wave seemed to say, 
I don't want to let you out of my sight so I'm going to look at you as long as possible.  

But it also said, Don't worry too much, Mom;  
I am doing what I love.

2 comments:

  1. Hello. I was trying to view the photo of a sample dinner at Bolshoi Academy, but I can't see it. Would you be able to re-post it? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I was trying to view the photo of a sample dinner at Bolshoi Academy, but I can't see it. Would you be able to re-post it? Thank you

    ReplyDelete