Pages

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

First Letter Home!


Ok, I have a lot to squish in!!

 4 missionaries were on the plane including me, one of them was going to Scottsdale! Super awesome and motivating to have other missionaries on the flight.

Temple Square was great with Abe, we walked in to the SLC temple and walked right back out. Saw Hope Davis and took a picture with her, that was fun. Ate at the garden, super yummy rolls and salad. Picked up Clark, then headed to MTC.

 It's not this pretty drop off at the doors anymore because of the new buildings. You get dropped off in a parking garage, which isn't as pretty of a picture. I had a host missionary help me with my bags, to the ground floor. Went through the new building for registration, got my name tags and missionary handbook. Got to my room, met my companion Elder Bendixen, super cool and spiritually gifted guy from Philly. We headed to our classrooms without unpacking or anything, you just bring your scriptures, Preach my Gospel and put on your name tag and go. Super super chaotic and exciting. The nice thing about being here is everyone is new. The longest you stay here is 9 weeks so everyone is still fresh.  So we met our district in the classroom by about 2, and started a gospel discussion about our purpose, shared reasons why we were service and just got to know each other. The MTC, is like the City of Enoch. Not quite there, but it's definitely a few feet off the ground. It's cliche, but the Spirit is strong here. Truly. After the classroom instruction, we had dinner.

 Holy crap. I thought we were supposed to be eating healthy to get the necessary energy we need. That, is not necessarily true here at the MTC. Soda machines, endless chocolate milk and sugar cereal every meal, lots of fried food, and dessert every meal. On top of that there's always ice creams coolers open at every meal. I've been trying hard to not eat dessert, and I drink water at every meal, except for Fast Sunday. Fast Sunday I stuffed myself and had 3 cookies, the ice cream provided for dessert, chocolate milk, Fanta, and 2 ice cream sandwiches from the ice cream cooler. Oh yeah. 

 After the first very long (not boring) day, I was worried my roommates who are part of my District  weren't going to like my school bell alarm clock, they were super laid back and the past few days they've thanked me, because it gets everyone awake in the morning. Very awake.

Showers were in insane! We were awake a tad early too, but it was packed pretty fast. needless to say, I'm a night showerer now. Spellcheck is disabled on missionary computers so I don't know if that's how you spell "showerer".

The first full day (Thursday), We taught our first lesson to Sarah. The method to teaching, is to set a commitment from the info you have of the investigator, and also what the Spirit tells you to say. i testify that the Spirit has guided us in EVERY single lesson, the Spirit truly does guide you. The very first thing they taught us, and reemphasized over and over again in the lessons the first day was to love those you teach. love those you teach. love them. love. From there, the Spirit will help you to give them the best information. My companion and I Elder Bendixen, get along great. We are also great instruments together in the Lord's hands, makes it very easy for the Spirit to guide us in our lesson.

Our district has been having discussions in the evening, in our "free time". They've been powerful, and we have been put in this district together for a reason. We all have strong testimonies of the Atonement, and our Savior Jesus Christ. Very interesting to see our different testimonies are about the Savior. The MTC theme is "Become as He Is. And our District goal, is to increase in Charity. Which believe it or not I felt strongly prompted to be my personal goal, the first afternoon here. 

The first day we were here, we got chewed out by Elder Holland (in a video), that the first conversion we make on our missions is not others, but ourselves. Elder Sanders is my first convert. Kind of interesting. Going along with that, we watched a devotional that's only shown in the MTC, the Character of Christ by Elder Bednar. Holy crap. Changed my life. He talks about how we ARE NOT to convert people to ourselves first of all, or the church, but to Jesus Christ. He talked about how all missionaries who come to the MTC have testimonies, but aren't converted to Jesus Christ. The Character of Christ that he talked about, is that Christ turns out when we turn in. Example, he suffered ETERNITY in the Garden, and after that healed the Guard's ear. We, would have turned in, thinking and worrying about ourselves. He talked about not being cookie monster, and did a spot on impression of cookie monster. This was shocking, and hilarious to see an Apostle to an impression of Cookie Monster at a Missionary Devotional. Anyway, he gives other examples like while being hung on the cross, he comforted the thieves next to Him. He said "get over yourself missionaries. It's not about how you, how many people YOU baptize, how many people YOU help, it's not you. It's the Lord. Get over yourself". Conversion, is getting rid of the natural man. Getting rid of the cookie monster. Most of us have testimonies, not all of us are converted to Jesus Christ. Elder Bednar talked about how %60 percent of missionaries at some point leave the Church, the brotheren didn't understand why. Then they realized it was because they weren't converted to the Lord, they were converted to the Church. He PROPHECIED, that if you will convert yourself to Christ, you WILL NOT fall away.

So many other things to share, I'm sorry my grammar isn't perfect, I don't have time to fix it. Only 60 minutes to write emails. I commit you to practice the gospel of Jesus Christ. Repentance, Baptism, Receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the End EVERYDAY. It is not a checklist. It is a life time commitiment, but is also something you can do DAILY. Mom, I love you. I will send a little email to everyone but this will be my big email so read it to everyone. Edit as needed. I love you, I pray for you several times a day. Thank you for giving me my testimony, I'm learning how to be converted to the Lord, and the Pure Love of Christ/Charity, and Patience. That's what I'm working on. Pray for me please, I do not have the strength to do it on my own. I need the Spirit, and the Atonement of Jesus Christ almost constantly, missionary life is hard. But I love it. Finishing each lesson motivates and energizes me. I wouldn't be able to do it without those 2 things. I love you. Tell Henry I love him too. Tell Eve I love her. Tell Lucy I love her. Tell Camilla I love her.

Sincerely and with much much Love

Elder Sanders

PS this is not proof read or spell checked at all because of time.






No comments:

Post a Comment