Pages

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Tuesday, 12 September 2017


New haircut.


This week was still great, but the initial excitement from entering the MTC has worn off. Elders are starting to be slack about the rules, and some challenges have started to arise for me as I've started to grow. I'm working on a few things, patience, diligence, charity, time management, controlling my temper, constructive criticism in love, and exact obedience. I wont lie, but I've been struggling. As I've started to pray for an increase in these things, I've been tested a lot this week. Little tiny things are annoying me, and my patience all of the sudden has started running thin. I know the Lord is trying to teach me something, it's definitely been a growing week. Previous outlets that I had are gone, and I've started turning to the scriptures and prayer for peace and guidance. My actions are still on track for the most part, but a lot of my issues (especially with anger) have all been thoughts in my head. However, I'm improving, I'm getting more and more Christlike everyday, and I'm definitely growing.

Yesterday, I was taught a very important lesson about exact obedience. All of the missionaries in my District are pretty obedient, a few little tweaks can be made though. One for us, is that our room has slowly been going to bed later. Not much, only 10 or 15 minutes however, it makes a big difference. We haven't been staying up late goofing around getting into trouble, almost every night we were discussing gospel related topics. However, we weren't following the rules with exactness. Sunday night (2 nights ago), we made an effort to have lights out at exactly 10:30. The next day, I did feel pretty good, as any other day here at the MTC. However, exercise time was interesting after dinner. Saturday, I ran 2.2 miles. I was running to burn off steam, about a bunch of little things. After the 2.2 miles (which I've slowly been building up to), I was exhausted. Because I was running with anger and bitterness. Yesterday (Monday), I was starting fresh after having the opportunity to partake of the Sacrament. I tried to talk with other runners, encourage them or give them compliment. I smiled as I ran by people and tried to be have more Christlike thoughts. When the announcement was made that our gym time was over, I had run 5.1 miles. And wasn't tired. Saturday, 2.2. Exhausted. Angry. Monday, 5.1 miles. Felt like I could keep going. I testify as a missionary and representative of Jesus Christ, that that strength was not my own. There is no way. I was blessed, for being exactly obedient. Did the 10-15 minutes make a difference? I don't think so. It was the Spirit showing me that exact obedience, is going to give us strength spiritually, physically and mentally beyond our own. Strive to obey the commandments with exactness. Make changes in your life, make sacrifices with a steadfastness in Christ, and you will be given that same power.

I'm trying to cut back on food, I've gained a little weight, only 5ibs but I wan't to stay healthy and fit. For breakfast I usually just have a bowl of cereal now. Lunch is salad and then dinner I'll eat the entree. It's made a difference and I'm back down to 155. 

We've been sick this week (along with the rest of the MTC), it's been pretty bad. My companion Elder Bendixen was sick enough one day that we headed back to residence for the afternoon. He fell asleep, and I watched the Old Testament Stories on my tablet. Pretty awesome. I too took a nap as well, I'll call it deep pondering/vision time. However I was sick as well and I did feel better. I think that added to why my temper has been so short.

 Our new TRC, basically an investigator that may or may not be LDS, was a little rough. Last week our first TRC was super cool, he follows up on all of the commitments and understands what the Spirit is teaching him. The new guy, Adam, has been a little more tricky. Our lesson wasn't very good which was our fault because we weren't able to find time for a quick planning session. Our personal study and companion study is whenever we can find time, Breakfast is at 7 so we have to do it at random parts of the day. 

I think Elder Bednar is my favorite Apostle. On Sunday night the film we decided to watch was a devotional he gave at the MTC, talking about recognizing the Spirit by said Apostle. The question was how do I know if it's the Spirit, or just me. Answer, quit worrying about it. stop fussing, stop analyzing etc. Be a good boy or girl, honor and keep your covenants and keep the commandments. If we are doing those things, the Lord will guide us with His spirit and guide our footsteps. However, we have to get moving. The Spirit can't direct us sitting still. It was interesting andit changed my outlook on the Holy Spirit.

I really enjoy running, I've found that I get too competitive and angry when I play sports on the gym floor, so I run. You also don't have to with your companion in the gym so It's some "alone" time. 
  
Got my first haircut today, first time someone besides you has cut my hair! I guess I'm a real man now. 

And finally my commitment for you and the family (btw I need a report on my commitment from last week). Pray that you will find someone IN FAITH and thrust in your sickle. Share either a mormon.org card, a Book of Mormon or a pass along card. I know it's scary, but the missionaries need help. I'm learning that very quickly. Prepare souls for salvation, love your neighbors. Set a goal, then make a plan.

Please pray for me, it really does help.

Elder Sanders

PS thanks for the pics!

This is my favorite mural.  There are over 300 in the new MTC.

No comments:

Post a Comment