Pages

Monday, September 25, 2017

Monday, 25 September 2017


Well, it's been an exiting two weeks! Last week at the MTC was chilly, and we were ready to get out. 

We woke up at 5:30, and headed to the travel office. Got on a n=bus, which took us to a train, which took us to the tram, which took us to the airport. I don't know why e have to do it in such a complicated way, but it must be cost effective or something. There were 24 missionaries on the plane to Phoenix (all in the Scottsdale mission). So cool to see so many missionaries helping in this great work. We met our mission president and his wife just outside the exit, got our bags and loaded up. We were in orientation all day and just learned a bit more about teaching. My interview was quick, didn't really ask worthiness questions, mostly just got to know me, I didn't want to take too much of his time. 

My new companion is Elder Guthrie, he's very smart and patient with me. Because orientation went so long, we didn't teach or proseyte much. Just unpacked and got settled in. The second day we started the regular schedule which just got changed last february. The schedule is as follows:

6:30am Arise and pray (we ger up at 6:15 for more exercise time)
6:30-7:00 Exercise time. Once a week we do Zone sports which is fun, we played ultimate frisbee last week.
7:00-8:30 Breakfast shower and prepare for day
8:30-9:00 daily planning
9:00-10:00 personal study
10:00-11:00 companion study
11:00-12:00 first 12 weeks
at some point 30 minutes of lunch
9:00 back at the apartment, 9:30 if coming from a lesson
10:30 lights out

I won't lie in saying I'm a little overwhelmed, lots of meetings and lots of new things to adjust to (again). I feel that we waste some time, we always go late with daily planning, and then go late again with companion study. Don't end up getting out until 1:00, which I feel is unacceptable. LOTS of meetings, way too many if you ask me. We have to set lots of goals, monthly district goals, monthly companion goals, transfer goals, weekly goals for the district, weekly companion goals, daily personal goals, goals for our investigators, goals for working with the ward, goals for the next 30 seconds, then SO much planning. 

We still had a really good week, Kelle was baptized last Saturday, she was only contacted a month ago! She has amazing faith, and is a true gem. I'm really starting to appreciate the power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, she came from a really bad situation. People need this in their lives, and I'm just starting to see it.

We get little miracles everyday, we just moved last saturday (which added to why we haven't done a ton of proselyting or teaching), and got to our new apartments. One night we were coming back to the apartments, and the Spanish branch president met us at the mail boxes, he gave us the wifi password for the community (we're in a closed gate community), and now we can sync our area book apps/calendars, and send emails. Little things like that happen all of the time, it's been amazing!

Missionaries are like friendly neighborhood super heroes, people are always nice to us, and I try to wave to everyone and smile and give quick hellos, people always respond positivily. It's awesome, we get support from people who aren't even members. Missionaries have a great reputation.

My area is the Phoenix Central Ward, which covers a huge area! There are 4 sets of missionaries in the ward, lots of ground to cover. We're on bikes, but the other set of Elders in our apartment use the car.  The total population in our area is 400,000, only 1,000ish members in those boundaries, and only 200ish active. Lots of work to do! Our area is on the poorer side, it reminds me of Pocatello, except uglier. People are a lot like where we were in Poky though, pretty friendly poorer people.

P-Day is being cut short today at 1:30 because we're going to the Mesa temple tomorrow (yippee), I'm so excited, I love the temple. So nice to actually relax as a missionary. We are always working, even in our "free time", but it's excting and I LOVE really working. I'm not a huge fan of planning or meetings even though I know those are necessary, but actually going out and talking to people, and teaching lessons is really fun. You never know what's going to be behind the next door.

Really excited for the coming week, keep me in your prayers. I LOVED THE BOX YOU SENT!!!!!!! IT MADE MY NIGHT, AND REALLY LIFTED MY SPIRITS. The tie is super cool, I wore it this morning when we went shopping.The t-shirt makes me feel proud of my stupid state that I miss so much. I'm growing to love the people, but I would never live here in Phoenix. There's like 5 strip clubs in the part of the area we cover, we're trying to convert Babylon basically. Seriously though thank you for the wonderful above and beyond box, It really lifted my spirits. Although I've been experiencing some high altitude highs, I've also experienced some deep lows (nothing to worry about just overwhelmed and adjusting), lots and lots to do. 

I hope everything is well at home, it's nice here, in the 80s during the day, 60s in the evening, just perfect. I do miss the crisp air and pine trees, there are no trees here. Well there are but they have to drown them in water for them to survive.

I'm dead tired, but I'm so glad I'm here, this is changing lives.

My assignment for this week is to do one act of service for someone outside of the family everyday, it could be  anything! As you serve people, you learn to love them, thus devoloping Christ's perfect love, that is charity. I want a follow up! 

Thanks for the pics and videos of the beach, I love you and miss you. I have the picture of the family on my desk.


Elder Sanders

No comments:

Post a Comment