Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Mom's View: The Teacher

If I am going to continue to be honest on this blog, than I have to write an update about Isaac's classroom experience.

Isaac's teacher, Ilya Kuznetsov, has been difficult and has pushed our boy very hard.  As you well know, I haven't always agreed with his methods, but I am not a ballet teacher . . . or dancer . . . or critic.  Frankly, everything I have learned about ballet has come since Isaac started dancing three years ago.

One consequence of having a demanding teacher is that when he does give a compliment, it feels like sunshine breaking out from behind the clouds after a long winter's storm.  One instance was after Isaac had danced a solo during class.  After the music ended, he was still down on one knee, hands raised, when Kuznetsov strode quickly to him.  Grabbing Isaac's up-reaching hand, he shook it saying, "You are crazy when you dance!  I like that!"

Another time was after a particularly difficult week, the boys were all at bar working the combinations they had been working on so diligently.  Isaac commented on the fact they the boys were totally in sync and there were moments where they looked like they were working from one mind.  It was a moment of satisfaction for a boy whose chosen path of study demands perfection.

Isaac's teacher, Ilya Kuznetsov.  Bolshoi Ballet Academy, Moscow, Russia.
The man truly loves the art of ballet.  His youtube channel is proof enough of that.  If he can bestow some of his understanding of movement and expression on my son, then it will be worth the hard words and difficult days.


1 comment:

  1. You confess you are not a ballet dancer or a teacher or a critic ....but you are a mom.
    I read these posts with oh's and oh no's and ahhh's and um's and even though I can't relate to what he is going through, I am a mom and I ache sometimes. Then the post shows him dancing and I get it.
    He is amazing.
    Hang in there mom.
    And thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete